Note: Any Civilization V posts I make will talk about the game with all the expansion packs unless it says otherwise.
Civilization V is a game where you build your civilization and guide it through the rich tapestry of human history. There are 5 victory types and multiple different approaches at each one, and some main approaches for every one are tall and wide. Tall is where you build a few huge cities and wide is where you build a lot of small cities. This game is like a board game but with much more to do and much more fun. On this post I am talking about the 5 victory types.
1) Domination: The domination victory is very straightforward, and all you have to do is capture the original capital city of every civilization. This victory can be achieved pretty early on in the game, especially if you have siege units.
2) Science: The science victory is a little more complex. To do this you have to research nearly the whole tech tree, and then build a spaceship to send to Alpha Centauri. This victory will usually take nearly the entire max game time.
3) Culture: The culture victory is probably the most complex and most difficult victory type in the game. To get this victory you have to get enough tourism to beat all the other civilization’s culture. This may sound easy but it isn’t, especially if the civilizations you play with make a lot of culture. You also have to make your own culture so other civilizations like France don’t beat you to this victory. To get culture is easyish, but getting lots of tourism is a very huge task, especially because it is almost impossible to get tourism before the Medieval Era. You have to get guilds which you can only have one of each type per game to get the right great people to make great works while also building buildings and wonders to store these great works. You also have to make lots of culture points to prevent other civilizations from winning this victory. Once you reach the Industrial Era you can also get artifacts, which can be stored in great work of art slots. You can also get tourism bonuses by putting the works in combinations and building wonders, social polices and religion.
4) Diplomatic: The diplomatic victory is quite hard to do. First I need to explain the world congress. The world congress is started by the first civilization the discover the printing press, and find all the other civilizations. The world congress is a place where all the civilizations vote over 2 resolutions each time. The resolutions are picked by the leader, and the non-leader with the most delegates. All tie civilizations get at least 1 delegate or vote. If you build the forbidden palace wonder you get an extra 2 delegates. Starting in the industrial era, each city state that a civilization has as an ally gives the civilization 1 additional delegate. The leader gets double the delegates from just being a civilization. The number of delegates and frequency of voting sessions go up as world gets more technologically advanced. For each era the world passes all the civilizations vote on who they want to lead the world congress.
Now that I explained the world congress I can tell you how to get this victory. To win a diplomatic victory first you have to wait for the world to reach the atomic era, because when that happens rather world congress becomes the United Nations. In the United Nations every once in a while the civilizations vote on who they want to be the world leader. If a civilization gets enough votes then they win. The number of votes to win is dependent on the number of civilizations and city states.
5) Time: This victory type can only happen if none of the other victory types happen by game end. To win a time victory you have to have the most victory points by game end. But what is a victory point? A victory point is a number of points calculated by amount of gold, the number of cities, the total city population, land and sea tiles owned, technology, the amount of times future tech has been researched, the amount of social policies, the amount of wonders, amount of military, and possibly more things.
Those are the 5 victory types in Civilization 5. Thanks For Reading!