Today I’m making a Top Ten of the best Mario powerups. It will count every canon item in every canon Mario game.
10. Tanuki Suit (Statue Transformation) from Super Mario Bros. 3, Super Mario 3D Land: In Super Mario Bros. 3, if you get enough speed, you can fly up in the air. In 3D Land, that ability was removed, but you still had the distinct move of turning into a statue. The statue is invincible to anything that comes its way. It can’t stay like that forever, and you can’t move during statue transformation.
9. Cape Feather from Super Mario World: If you get enough speed with this powerup, you can start flying, but it’s better than that. You can start bobbing up and down with the cape feather, and you can beat the whole level by just flying in the air like that. You can do a lot of speed run tactics with this one item.
8. Ice Flower from New Super Mario Bros. Wii, Mario U, Luigi U: With this powerup, you can shoot ice balls out of your hands. I think this is better than the fire flower because there are some enemies, like dry bones, that fire can’t kill. With ice, however, you can freeze the enemies and you can use them as platforms, or you could throw it at a wall to kill them.
7. Propeller Suit from New Super Mario Bros. Wii, Mario U, Luigi U: The name is pretty self explanatory. It’s a powerup that lets you propel up into the air. It’s honestly the best powerup to save yourself from falling into a pit. It also can slow your descent, so you can also save yourself like that also.
6. Cat Bell (Statue Transformation) from Super Mario 3D World: The idea of a cat suit is a pretty cool idea. You can press dash to do a scratch move that could kill many types of enemies. You can also climb walls for a little amount of time. But there’s the Statue version where if you ground pound, you can gain coins throughout the time you ground pound, and the statue is invincible so it’s pretty good.
5. Mega Mushroom from New Super Mario Bros. DS, 2, and Super Mario 3D World: When you get this huge mushroom, you turn giant and you can destroy anything in your path! You can also use this item in Mario Kart Wii to smash other players! In New Super Mario Bros. DS and 2, you move really fast, however in Super Mario 3D World, you move really slow. It doesn’t last forever though, otherwise that would be ultimately cheap. It’s still a very good powerup none the less.
4. Invincibility Star from almost every Mario game: Once you get this powerup, prepare to see rainbows. You get a lot of speed, and the best part is that you can’t die, unless you fall into poison, lava, or a pit. It does last a limited amount of time, but the number of stuff you can do in just that limited amount of time is still a lot.
3. Penguin Suit from New Super Mario Bros. Wii and U and Luigi U: This powerup is very good. It’s a combination of the Ice Flower, Frog Suit and the Blue Turtle Shell. You can shoot ice balls, swim very easily, and if you get enough speed and crouch, you can slide on ice and water and can drill through blocks. It might be the best powerup, but since it’s a combination of 3, it’s sort of unoriginal.
2. P-Wing from New Super Mario Bros. 3: This is a rare item. When you use it, you turn into super leaf Mario, but you have unlimited flying. You can just fly through the entire level if you wanted to. And in Super Mario Bros. 3, there were no collectables, so you can’t go wrong with it.
- P- Acorn from New Super Mario Bros. U and Luigi U: It’s the same idea as the P- Wing, but I think it’s better because you can glide and you don’t go too high in the game. It also looks really cool; there is a P on it and it is really shiny looking. Also there are levels like the Red-Hot Elevator and Run For It that are really fast and easy if you use the P-Acorn. And it’s not that hard to get. All you have to do is catch Nabbit, and you have to catch him 7 times anyway if you want 100%, so it’s really easy.
So that’s my Top 10 Best Mario Powerups. What do you think is the best powerup?