A new year has begun.
What will we do with it? How will we grow?
The answers to those questions as they pertain to English class are partly determined by the Texas TEKS, but also by teacher and student choice. We as individuals can decide a lot about how we want to stretch ourselves and develop our abilities as writers and readers.
What do we want to know more about? Let’s explore! We each have the tools: curiosity, ability, resources…and time. That’s the key, isn’t it? We have to make the time to learn what we want to learn, to do what we want to do.
Here a few places to visit to get started on some individual inquiry:
- Explore the world with National Geographic.
- Check out the myriad reading lists posted at the Young Adult Library Services Association
- Find knowledge and inspiration with these teen TED talks.
- Learn history with John Green and his Crash Course History series of videos.
- Subscribe to BrainPop and enjoy fun, educational videos about thousands of topics.
- Read about current events and other topics of interest in the Smithsonian magazine for teens.
- Get inspired by these teen bloggers as they pursue their passions!
- Watch these video entries in the 2015 Breakthrough Junior Challenge, a contest in which teens age 13-18 explain a science or math concept.
What are some of your favorite resources for learning? Leave us a link in the comments!
Image credit: Pixabay CC0