One of the fun things about blogging is that we can exchange ideas with other students in other parts of the world. For a couple of years now, Mr. Webb of New Zealand has had his students visit us in Texas, and we here in Austin have enjoyed our visits to their town in South Taranaki.
Here’s a funny conversation we had about those visits this week:
Sure enough, we did some investigating and found out that New Zealand is so far ahead of us in time (is there a better way to say that?) that when we are in 7th period class, it is already the next day there! As we blogged at 3:00 P.M. on Monday, Oct. 19, it was about 9:00 A.M. on Tuesday, Oct. 20 in Mr. Webb’s class. Wow!
I think we need to have a Skype session soon to get our students talking “face to face”!
Meanwhile, we’ll explore the Taranaki region of New Zealand by browsing this website.
Our sixth period students are excited about their upcoming Skype chat with Mr. Webb’s class in New Zealand. The two classes have been visiting each other’s blogs, and now the kids will get to visit in person…sort of 🙂
We started preparing for our chat by brainstorming what we think we know about New Zealand:
- New Zealanders have little tiny ponies that are awesome
- The Lord of the Rings movies were filmed there
- “Kids ride kangaroos to school,” said Clark (really, Clark, really?!)
- You can order kangaroo meat at a restaurant
- Some schools let the kids go barefoot
- People in New Zealand have really cool accents
- There are tiny cows in New Zealand
- It rains more there than in Texas
- It’s hot and humid in New Zealand
- People drive on the left side of the road
- The Auroa School kids are amazing 🙂
- There are volcanoes in New Zealand
When we compared the size of Texas with the size of New Zealand, we were just as amazed as Mr. Webb’s kids. We know Texas is big, but wow, Texas is BIG!
Some students insisted that our above “facts” are wrong, with some saying kangaroos are in Australia, not New Zealand. We’ll have to do some investigating in the coming days!
We’re excited to have new blogging partners in Mr. Webb’s Room 1 in Auroa, New Zealand. After introducing ourselves, Room 1 wrote a post about what they knew about Texas, so we thought we’d put together a list of what we know about New Zealand. Like Mr. Webb’s class, we realize we have some research to do in order to complete (or correct?) our knowledge and impressions.
From period 2 and 3, here’s a compilation of what we think we know:
- New Zealand is near Australia
- The fly fishing for trout is supposed to be awesome there!
- Some students have heard of a famous NZ rugby team called All Blacks
- Cricket is a popular game (but most of us aren’t sure what it is)
- There are many sharks in the waters off the coast of NZ
- New Zealand has a sister city to our Aspen, Colorado…but we can’t remember its name
- There are REALLY big turtles in New Zealand
- New Zealand is in the Ring of Fire
- The countryside is beautiful (we saw the scenery in the Lord of the Rings movies!)
- People in New Zealand say “mate” after their sentences
We look forward to learning more about New Zealand and Mr. Webb’s class in the weeks ahead!